2.14.2012

America, LLP.


There has been a great deal of talk about job creation during the 2011/2012 presidential campaign season and it makes me wonder about the caliber of candidates the GOP is shilling.

 Now, let me be clear, I have no chauvinistic affiliations with any party, I vote based on merit. If I believe the Republican/Democrat/Libertarian candidate is what’s best for America, then they get my vote. Period.

That being said, I have not had cause to vote Republican or Libertarian in the few presidential elections I have been able to vote in. The reason being that the candidates from these parties seem to think that America is a business instead of a country a republic-an “idea” is the most apt definition I can give of this land.

It strikes me as cold, and I admit to leaning a bit left when it comes to some of the major issues, but it strikes me as cold when candidates relate their business acumen as a major tenet of their presidentiality (verb. Skill set needed to be president of the United States. Not actually a word-yet).  Is the United States a corporation? Are our Senators our immediate supervisors? How would that work and who do I talk to about getting a raise!?

If America, LLP, is to exist and the president is the CEO, is the Constitution the code of conduct? The Declaration of Independence must be the mission statement. Is the Civil Rights Act the employee handbook? Where is human resources because I have a few staffing issues I would like to talk to them about.

Candidates for the position of CEO from the GOP staffing office are trying to abolish the payroll department as well as get rid of the group healthcare coverage that many employees so desperately need. They are claiming to do good things as well, such as fix the fence in the backyard to prevent non-employees from doing jobs that employees themselves don’t want to do.

Is being an American a job? Can you quit? Can you get fired?

Having taken a bevy of political science classes during my tenure as a student in almost all levels of education, I never once thought of the president as a CEO. Maybe its youthful naïveté speaking but even as an adult, I cannot conceive of the fact that being a CEO is enough to garner the most powerful job in the world. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think you are spot on that there are those who think the US is a corporation. This has been a long trend. When they get into office they act like it is their turn to milk the cow (Cheney was CEO of Haliburton). I, personally, see the Republican emails from my representatives telling me how they are trying to down regulate the EPA in Ohio to make it easier for businesses to operate - which is a good thing for America. That's NOT good for America, that's good for businesses and bad for America. The only time I ever hear the Republican party take an interest in what people think are the times they push for anti-choice abortion laws or anti-gay marriage (or in the past for anti-African American civil rights and anti-woman right to vote, etc.). I think, and I think its obvious, that the they rely on these two singular knee jerk reaction of social/religious conservatives to keep them in office. When they won the landslide during the first part of Obama's term the first thing they did was not try to fix the economy, the first thing they did was attack everything pro-choice and pro-gay rights they could find. Why, because they needed to get social backing and make people forget that they are the reason we went into a world wide recession. Those two social points are their only connection to the American people, otherwise they are a corporation indeed. I am Democrat, and I will be voting for all the Democrats I can so Obama has the political backing to do whatever he likes, cuz I trust and know he is not trying to milk the cow.

    ReplyDelete